September 25, 2007

new york, new york...

There comes a time in every era where the era has to end.

My era in New York may very well be at its end.  And I have to deal with that.

I think I mentioned this in the about me post, but I'm originally from California.  Yes, sunny California.  Though, where I'm from it's more like "morning fog" California (welcome, Bay Area).  Thus, when I came to New York, I was going a long way from home.  Now, this gets hard during Thanksgiving and and my birthday when I can't go home, but I suppose it opens more doors upon graduating; I can stay in New York, or I can go to California.  Technically, I could go anywhere, but really, do I want to go live in the Midwest? (no offense, Midwesterners, but I'm a coastal guy--I need the beach, and blue states)

The problem is: am I done with New York?  I'll only have been here a bit short of four years by the time graduation rolls around, and I'm not sure if that's enough time.  I always just assumed I would stay here.  How I would balance that with going home for Christmas, I had not thought about.  I mean, I like New York.  I've liked it since I've been here.  Besides the obligatory "home for Christmas" and a stint studying abroad, I really haven't left.  I like the hours (24), I like the food, I like the culture (somewhat), and I like the environment.  Does San Fransisco really compare in the same way?

How do you know when you're finished living some place?  Sure, I get discouraged that I don't have a car and that my apartment is the size of a shoebox.  I want some fresh air sometimes and nature that isn't Central Park.  But am I really going to be ready to be done with this city in May?

Somehow, I don't think so.

No comments: