September 18, 2007

i think white is a color...

I wouldn't go so far as to say we have any sort of breakthrough in the post-May job search, but we do have an event to go to. And, in my stoic life, events are reason enough to celebrate. So bust our your party hats and groggers, it's networking time.

This Thursday, I will be attending what is called the Diversity in Advertising Career Day at the Midtown Hilton in New York City. It sounds so professional, huh? What it seems to be, however, is one big giant career fair with seminars. The seminars sound pretty good, and useful, including one titled "The Ten Commandments of Getting Hired," which we all know I could use greatly.

I could also use the 60+ companies that will be represented there, from Arnold, DDB, and Lowe (my internship alma mater) to Yahoo!, The Washington Post, and Zimmerman. Even
Google will be there. And from what I hear (and see) about their food... I'd have no problem getting hired by them. What's 80 hours of work a week if you get lunch and dinner "on campus?" I feel that more companies would have stronger ties with their employees (and the rumor mill among laypersons) if they offered perks like free food to their employees. It's definitely a pull on why I like my university so much. Nothing says "I love you" like free food at lunchtime.

Digression aside, I feel like this could be 1) fun, 2) an opportunity, and, if nothing else 3) a reason to get dressed up and chit-chat small talk.

Now, the reason for the entry is, I'm not sure if you noticed, but the day is called Diversity in advertising.  Not that I've said this before on the blog, but I'm quite Anglo.  I'm about as white as mayonnaise.  In other words, I've never been known to look particularly... diverse.  This could go either one of two ways: either the title of the day has no real impact on the attendees or outlook on the fair, or I'm going to be seen as yet another priviledged white imperialist trying to take the riches from the poor and give to the richer, creating even more elaborate systems of inequality and abuse, ready to only get myself ahead in life so that I can have a casket emblazoned in gold housed in a giant marble tomb on some lofty hillside in the stretched of Beverly Hills where I lived out my last years in a multi-million dollar mansion with maids, butlers, and cooks (who were probably minorities, and probably underpriviledged) because I am the man, and if anyone were to stick something to someone, they would stick it to me because of my Anglo heritage and that would become even more apparent among a crowd of advertising individuals from diverse backgrounds.

I'm not really sure how to play my cards.  But if the Hilton is full of Indians, Africans, Asians, Jamaicans, Latinos, and Canadians (eh?), then maybe white represents diversity in that group.  Though I feel this is a deeper political discussion than I intended to enter when I began the entry.

The point is, I'm going to this day, and I'm determined to have a ball.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: