September 19, 2007

if i only learned one thing in economics...

It was guns and butter.

But if it wasn't that, then it was supply and demand.

And, if it wasn't that, then it was definitely the scarcity of resources, and the scarcity of time.

Economics professors love to loathe the scarcity of time. What do we have more than enough of? People, and we can birth them, too. Well, not all of us, but about 50% of us. What do we have a lot of? Hydrogen, oxygen, marble, trees.  What do we have just enough of?  Spice Girls reunions, Cat Stevens albums, and varieties of tomato.  What do we not have enough of?  Well, that would be time.

Why do I talk about the scarcity of time now?  Because time has been a big issue in my life.  More specifically related to this whole "recruitment" stint, the scheduling of my timeline.  So let's think about this timeline.

What I really want to do (I think) is advertising.  Specifically brand strategy, but that really has no impact on the discussion of my timeline.  However, as I have come to realize, advertising agencies don't really recruit until March or April, and then it's less of a recruit and more of an, "Oh, we need someone to fill this spot.  Who can start in a week?"  Unfortunately, the way school works, and the pressures of my university and my peers, is that people have been asking me since August whether I have had an offer for the following May.  That, and some jobs that interest me (*cough*Google*cough), though not advertising, are hiring right now.

So here's the timeline:
September: return to school, on-campus recruitment begins, pressure ensues
October: on-campus recruitment interviews, stress begins
November: on-campus recruitment interviews, mental breakdown
December: decisions on recruitment offers (please?) due
March: advertising recruitment
May: graduation

What that means is I can either do this whole recruiting thing and hopefully have a job by December for the following May in a field that isn't advertising but I would still be okay with (especially if it included free lunch).  Or, I could wait, feel pressure and diappointment from my peers, and hope somebody decides to hire me in a very competitive industry in March and, if the case that that fails, return home to my parents and cry on my childhood bed for about three months straight before scrambling together what life I have left in a somewhat valuable degree and a lot of destroyed perserverence.

Which sounds more appealing?

No comments: