October 10, 2007

interview prep...

I have an interview in just about two hours.  So, not too far after my last advice column, I've decided to give another:

ENTRY LEVEL'S INTERVIEW ADVICE COLUMN

Most people hate interviews.  Most people don't suck at interviews, in my experience, but most people hate interviews.

I like interviews.

Maybe I just like meeting new people, having conversations, talking about myself endlessly (or at least for half an hour to an hour) and having it be socially acceptable, or just the fun of the game.  Any way you slice it, I kind of like interviews.  I'm at ease during them.  I don't get clammy hands.  My voice doesn't quiver, and I can confidently look the interviewer in the eye the whole time.

So I've decided to impart this abilitiy to the World Wide Web.

Here's my secret: it's not really an interview.

The way I see interviews is that they are conversations.  They have my resume and they've found me as a qualifier based on my being on paper.  Knowing my being on paper, that's a huge step in and of itself.  So what the interview really is is an assessment to see if they would like to work with someone like you.  They want to know if they can get beers with you after work (or during... whenever).  

And you want to know the same thing.  If the person interviewing you is a loser with no social skills and a skewed sense of the world of which you would not like to be a part, chances are you won't be too happy at the company.  I know that's not an objective for many people (money is), but for many others it is (and for those who it isn't, start thinking about your own happiness--it's kind of important).

So really, the way I look at interviews is the same way I look at conversations.  I act like I'm getting together with a new friend.  Talk about the news, talk about how your experiences coincide with the other party's, discuss things that aren't even on the topic of the job.  If you show you're an interesting person, they'll want you.  And if you're looking at it like a conversation, you're bound to be less nervous.

Unless you have serious social problems.  In which case, I can't help you, but I hear prozac can.

And, once again, if you have any questions or comments, please leave them or e-mail to entrylevelblog@gmail.com.  I don't charge for my consultations!!